Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I found me some internet =)

Found a computer at my hostel but I gotta pay for internet. damn lol, was getting used to free internet at backpackers. oh well. I wanted to post some photos, but theyve covered the usb ports behind a huge plastic case. bullies!

So the hostel here in Toledo is in a restored/renovated castle, that was built I don´t know when but it´s a genuine castle from lots of years ago, sitting up on a hill. It´s about a 10-15 minute walk from the old town which is spread over another hill, and a river (forgot its name) runs between the two. I feel like I´m repeating myself somewhat here haha but walking around Toledo is pretty awesome. It was once the capital city of Spain, well maybe of the kingdom of Castilla (I think it was before the unification of the various kingdoms that became Spain) but anyway yeah it used to be a pretty powerful place, and also was an important centre of culture/learning etc etc. Today it´s a `World Heritage Site´, or something, like so many places I´ve visited hahahaha. It´s all old and medieval-like =) And full of little narrow streets that go up and down and up again. That´s what happens when they build a city on a hill.
It´s been a really lovely day (weather-wise). Leaving Cordoba this morning (I miss the south already!) I was prepared for cold weather again but it´s actually been about 15º so very nice and I think it´s gonna be about the same tomorrow. Since I arrived this afternoon, I´ve been walking around seeing things and definately noticing the difference between Castilla and (i.e here) and Andalucia, where I have been for the last week and a half, still kind of adjusting. It´s a hard thing to explain though so yeah. I raced through the Cathedral, trying to keep ahead of the huge asian tour group, I´ve also visited a Jewish synagogue + museum, though I didn´t find the museum as great as Lonely Planet made it out to be, maybe I just wasn´t in the right frame of mind for reading all the details hehe. Never really have been a massive fan of museums, in general. Also quickly visited another church, couldn´t find one of the other museum things I thought I might see, and there was probably one or 2 more things but I can´t remember them.

Tomorrow gonna probably go for a morning walk around the city, maybe take a few more photos and then head off to Madrid. Might go look at the Museo del Prado.

2 comments:

  1. Hey beautiful. Another awesome posting. Stay ahead of those groups I say! It seems so odd to have such different cultures and influences in the different parts of Spain and your photos and stories will no doubt bring that to life.
    Bullies indeed! I love the photos (and the stories).
    Happy travelling to Madrid.
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done it again! Typed you a comment and then can't see whether it has been posted or not. Anyway two people at the Mall asked how you were doine. Wendy at Foodtown and the girl at the pharmacy who is a friend of your friend Charlotte. Wendy said to send her best wishes to you. Keep up with all your great news. It is just such good exciting reading. Love Granny

    ReplyDelete