Saturday, February 7, 2009

listening to The Beatles...

(couldn´t think of a better blog title =p)

Well I´m still in Málaga, and today has been a lovely sunny day spent wandering around the city and climbing up castles on hills.


Yesterday I went to Antequera - which is a really charming little town about an hour out of Málaga. I thought I was only gonna be there until around 2 but I ended up staying all day because it was so cool. It was nice to see a place that wasn´t big city and super touristy =) Walking around the streets, there was a little church around almost every corner haha! Apparently it´s the town with the most churches by population.


Antequera was a very important town during the Arab occupation of Spain, as it lay in the middle of the 4 main cities of the Arab kingdom of Al Andaluz; Córdoba, Granada, Sevilla and Málaga. I went up to the Alcazaba (Fortress) and got there just as a tour (in English! =D) was starting, which made it more interesting and also a bit of company hehe) and there were cool as views from the towers =)


This is the other cool thing I went to see in Antequera:


the photos don´t show them so well, but there are these megalithic structures, constructed about 3000 years ago which makes them pretty impressive. Apparently they´re the most important in Spain/Europe or something like that.

Today I had hoped to go to Ronda, which is a `pueblo blanco´ (`white town´) and supposed to be very pretty. Didn´t make it there, mostly because the bus station is almost completely shut down, except for the platforms and now ticket counters for one company (but not the one that runs to Ronda). I found out this morning its becuase of damage caused my a hurricane - must have been last week or something. Fun. So anyway, I couldn´t get any information about bus timetables or buy tickets or anything. I managed to get on the internet this morning to check timetables, but by then it was too late, especially since it´s 2-3hrs to get there. Never mind. So I´ve spent the day slowly wandering around Málaga, which has been nice actually since the next few days are gonna be pretty packed and faced paced, methinks.


Tomorrow I´m off first thing to Granada - quite excited. I´ve cancelled my booking at the REAJ hostel and booked a much smaller and cooler looking backpackers and oooh its got a kitchen its tragic how exciting that is. Same goes for Córdoba.

3 comments:

  1. coooooool
    xoxox
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous to have your pictures Em and lovely to see your 'sisters' out enjoying the scenery with you. You are handling the little disappointments well and they are pretty inconsequential in amongst the big adventure. Good to see you getting other people to take photos of you.
    Loving you babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous to have your pictures Em and lovely to see your 'sisters' out enjoying the scenery with you. You are handling the little disappointments well and they are pretty inconsequential in amongst the big adventure. Good to see you getting other people to take photos of you.
    Loving you babe.

    ReplyDelete