Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sevilla

Today I had thought I might go to Mérida for the day, but turned out the walk from hostel to bust station was a lot longer than I thought and I missed the bus, so I stayed in Sevilla - and it was probably the smarter option lol!!!

Sevilla is so very different from all the other places in Spain [and Portugal!] that I´ve seen so far. Obvious, I know, given it´s in a different pat of the country, different geography/climate, and most importantly - different city. All throughout the south of Spain theres strong Muslim influence on the architecture and such, which I´ve definately been noticing and loving. And it´s a really pretty city to walk around. Orange trees everywhere and pretty plazas etc etc. Yesterday (once I finally got myself un-lost and into the central city) I visited the Cathedral, which Lonely Planet says is one of the biggest in the world - its huuuuge!!! and climbed up La Giralda - the cathedral tower which i think existed first and was built by arabs? Oh yeah I also had a look at the Plaza de Toros (Bullfighting ring).
This morning I went to the Alcazar - definately a highlight of Sevilla. I took about a million photos but none of them come close to capturing the decorations, arches, patios etc etc etc. It´s an old palace/king´s residence or something like that, and parts of it havwe been destroyey/rebuilt/added various times through history. So its got all sorts of constructions and decorations from different arabic/christian/`mudejar´(=arab/christian mixture) styles and yeah, can´t really explain it so well but its pretty impressive. and goes on forever!!! I spent 2hrs, maybe more going through the rooms and patios with my audioguide. The only problem was that is was reallly super busy!!!! people everywhere and around every corner - a couple of school groups and another group with fancy cameras taking about 50 thousand photos of every wall hahaha. So I´d often find myself standing around in a corner waiting for a few people to clear out so I could appreciate the place a bit better =)

I´m just in an internet cafe on on of the main roads and out the window to my left is the cathedral amd oh now a tram going past. This morning it was lovely and sunny, but it has since clouded over and about 5/10 minutes ago started to rain. Which could be a pain because after this i was gonna go walk through the `Parque de Maria Luisa´ - a big park with a couple other things to look at on the way back to the hostel. oh well.

Tomorrow on to Cádiz - probably relatively early in the morning since I´ve now pretty much seen enough of Sevilla - well theres always more but yeah.

Sure there was something else I was gonna say, but right now I can´t remember.

love to all

xoxoxox

2 comments:

  1. Emmy this is the most awesome blog. It just about brought tears to my eyes this morning when I read it. Last night we were texting back and forward and you were so disappointed about Merida and feeling frustrated about getting lost and missing buses and I felt really sad for you. You seemed a bit lonely. And then ... chocolate con churros seemed to do the trick for you. You stopped, refocused and set off on what turned out to be a fabulous day and an excellent decision. The detail of your day is just exquisite and it is so lovely to see you immersed in your adventure and so rapturous about the architecture. You go Emmy! Independent travelling woman! Love you heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Emmy, this is my second attempt at sending a comment to you. I see your Mum's one is there but I am doing something wrong. Any way if this one comes through I am absolutely thrilled with today's blog and your wonderful day of sightseeing. After the disappointment of missing your bus it seems as if it was meant to be as you have had a truly wonderful day of viewing the architecture of their historic buildings. Go Emmy. See it all. Love Granny XX

    ReplyDelete